- HIV TEST
Mumbai Districts AIDS Control Society (MDACS) is an autonomous body registered under Charitable Trust Act, established on 27th July 1998 by Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) for control & prevention of HIV/AIDS in Mumbai. Mumbai reported its first AIDS case in 1986. The City’s health department responded promptly by undertaking serological surveys among sex workers, screening of blood for HIV in blood banks and setting up treatment centers in Medical Colleges.
MDACS implements National AIDS Control Program (NACP) under the guiding principles of National AIDS Control Organization (NACO), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. MDACS serves as a nodal agency, using multi-sectoral approach collaborating with general Health System, other Government departments, NGOs/CBOs, private sector and People living with HIV/AIDS. MDACS provides services through its various divisions viz. Basic Services, Blood Safety, Targeted Intervention, STI, Care Support & Treatment, Information Education & Communication and Mainstreaming.
- HIV testing services are available free of cost. OPD paper is not required for walk-in-clients.
- each individual is provided information about basics of HIV & routes of transmission of the infection. The person is asked a few questions to access his / her risks before HIV testing.
- Written/Verbal Consent is taken from the person before HIV testing.
- Confidentiality is maintained about test result.
- The report (Negative/Positive) is discussed with the person in post-test counseling.
- If report is Negative, the person is counselled to undertake measures for reducing risks in one’s behavior.
- If report is Positive, counseling & support is provided to the person for acceptance of HIV positive status & the person is referred to the nearest Care, Support and Treatment centre to start Antiretroviral Treatment.